Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Perhaps the best fit is TV

I can write "long form"--though putting fiction or non-fiction in such a context bores me to death--I just don't like to.



I don't enjoy just how steeped in all the details a writer has to be when crafting novels or anything over 60 pages single spaced. When I realized that, and added into the equation my love of movies, it was obvious that screenwriting was a far better fit for me.



However, as I've written screenplays, I've found myself unhappy with some of the specifics of feature screenwriting. While it demands a much greater brevity--which I like--and is far more visual--yet another good thing--it tends to be a lot of work for a two hour shot of characters I love, in a world I've worked hard to create.



Enter screen left: TV writing. Writing for TV requires the brevity of feature screenwriting, but it allows a writer to spend a LOT more time with the characters he loves, in the world he's worked so hard to create.



The odds of success are no better than they are for any other kind of writing, but odds rarely expose why they are what they are. Like the saying goes, "in Hollywood no one ever fails, they just give up." To me I read that as meaning that if you refuse to accept defeat, you'll eventually succeed. Granted, while I think that you need unrelenting determination to succeed, I also think you need at least one of the following: passion, talent, or skill. Skill is not to be confused with talent. Skill is the ability that some have to create by the book. Those who have skill but no talent lack the nuance and finesse that those with talent supply, but they can get the job done.



So the question now is, what do I have? Do I have passion, unrelenting determination, skill, and/or talent? I don't know right now. I guess we'll discover what I have as the future unfolds.



I remember reading, somewhere, that the whole "life must be balanced" idea is a myth; that everyone who ever accomplished much of anything only did so by NOT being balanced at all. In every case of accomplishment and success, those who have achieved have done so by focusing almost to a fanatical level on their area of interest or expertise. Einstein didn't become Einstein by trying to be a balanced person: learning equal amounts of various subjects and trying to juggle multiple passions and interests. As far as I know, Einstein became Einstein by focusing on his area of interest in science 100%. His focus was all-consuming.



What I've read about those who are successful artistically suggests the same thing. Those who are successful in TV or film don't spend much time playing XBox, or traveling (strictly for fun), or watching tons of TV (unless it's essentially for "work"), or playing sports, or being very well-rounded. Sure, they might play lip-service to the concept, but most of them have become so successful because they fought for their dream with such passion that it excluded the possibility of having the normal American lifestyle (watch TV 8 hours a day, work 8 hours a day, sleep 8 hours a day). They might struggle to have a relatively healthy family life in addition to their work in TV or film. But, somehow, most of them are satisfied. Most seem to feel that what they do is meaningful; that deep down part of themselves that yearns to live a purposeful life is at peace doing what they do.



What that in mind I've tried to become more focused. I've started caring less about being a "balanced" person, and started caring more about being a person completely focused on writing--and, more specifically, TV writing. I'm trying to get to the point where 95% of everything I do online is directly related to writing. Allowable activities are reading other writers on-topic blogs, research, and the like. I'm rereading those screenwriting books I've already read, and reading new ones. I've bought books on the art and craft of TV writing, and am studying them intently. I'm watching TV shows that I really enjoy--because those are the shows that I'll be specing.



I'm trying to cut the fat out of my life and get toned in my approach to doing this: to making a career as a TV writer a reality.



Yesterday I watched and broke down the pilot for Two and a Half Men.



Today I watched the second episode, and then the last episode of the most recent season (the 3rd, which just wrapped up). Today I was looking to see how the tone, characters, and scope of the show had evolved.



Tomorrow I'll look for more clues as to where the show is now, and where it might be heading.



Perhaps the next day I'll have a great idea for a spec and start breaking it down.



If I truly care about doing this, and give it everything I've got then even long odds won't ultimately stop me.



And that is why I've named this blog The Relentless Writer; because I think that being relentless is perhaps the most essential ingredient of success: mine, yours, anyone's.





Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: