Wednesday, June 21, 2006

How to decide which idea to work on

It's a real bitch, figuring out which idea I want to write next. It's been two years (approximately) since my last script, and high time I put pen to paper again (metaphorically; I actually prefer to do most of my "writing" on a computer). But, now, having decided I'm ready to write again, how do I decide what to invest the pain and anguish (as well as joy) of writing in? This is the age old quandary of the writer: it's hard to write (and most writers hate writing, but love having written), and then when we decide to we're faced with difficult questions of what, who, and how.

Like most writers, I have LOTS of ideas running around in my head percolating. Also like most writers, I have a hard time separating the wheat from the chaff--the ideas that work, or are ready to be taken seriously, from those that aren't ready for primetime.

I have my horror/action film, Demon Run, that I could write...or, I could figure out a solution to my problem with Stealing Eve (the problem is that there's already been a movie made which seems like a ripoff of my concept--Extreme Dating, if you most know)...or, I could go back to my scifi/action flick...which, incidentally, I don't recall ever coming up with a title I liked (I think the one I actually liked was "Ordinary War," but which sounded flat and boring to everyone else). Or, I could write my soap opera style love story (Love Affair)...or, I could write Pirate Island...or, I could write The Wall Around Forever...or, I could write Beautiful Faces (which, again, was a title I was never completely pleased with).

The problem is that my life right now is probably most supportive of a serious story--as I'm currently devouring philosophy books and thinking deep thoughts; but, I have a natural inclination to comedy, and light-heartedness. What am I to do? Part of me really wants to write Hero Business...but that's my buddy Eric's idea, and I don't believe in screwing over my friends--even if it is true that he may not ever get around to writing it himself. Hmmm...

Man, what really pisses me off is the Stealing Eve scenario...that someone else would either steal my idea, or have the same damn idea themselves. I LOVE that idea, and I really want to do it my way. However, how do I do the idea without making it seem like I'm rehashing an idea that someone else ruined? I mean, I haven't seen Extreme Dating, but the preview makes it appear very...passe; very blah. But, they steal the idea of the whole kidnapping as a route to love. True, Extreme Dating appears to have been released direct-to-DVD, so it's not like it made much of a splash...so maybe that means there's still room for my idea. But, that could also work against my idea. Potential buyers could think that the fact that Extreme Dating was commercially a failure means that any movie with similar subject matter will be a failure.

There WAS another version of Stealing Eve that I batted around which was very different from my more cute/fun idea which got ripped off. In that other idea my protagonist falls for a foreign girl while on vacation with his family (or friends). They continue to write each other (and chat or whatever) even after they part, until one day he gets a dear john letter. Not one to be put off, he tries to find out what's going on. What he finds gives him the impression that her family is trying to end their relationship for strategic purposes...kinda a mob family decides what is best for their daughter idea. So, he sets out on a journey to find her and bring her back. There was another idea I had which had a similar theme--which I haven't decided if I like better--but a different title: The Legend of Red River (or something to that effect). But, see, ultimately it's the cute/fun aspects of Stealing Eve that I'm so in love with. The rest of my ideas or very dark, serious, thoughtful movies...and I really want to do something which makes me happy to write.

I guess that's what's most important to me right now; which means that I either fix my Stealing Eve idea, or think of another cute/fun idea.

2 comments:

Chris Parr (ukscriptwriter) said...

Ah, the “what to write next” question.

At the moment I only have one complete script under my belt and about 5 solid ideas (plus a load of not so solid ones). I have decided to crack on with draft 2 of the complete one (Good Guys), but the problems is that I have just come up with a cracking idea that I want to get started.

It's hard enough to choose when you have nothing underway, but when you are in the middle of something..... ARRGGGHHH!!!! :)

I just have to be strict with myself and finish what I have started before I move on.

Systemaddict said...

Ideas are hard to come by- but harder to execute.

I wouldn't worry about similar ideas, nor think that you've been ripped off.

Any idea you have, freshly and well written- will still trump it's way through the reading piles if it's worth it.

I say, if it's been 2 years- take one of the ideas...and just slog it out...that's the only way to get back into it...